What is Shibari?

Learn the fine art of Shibari (Kinbaku) here.
MasterMatt
Site Admin
Role: Dominant

What is Shibari?

Post by MasterMatt »

I have been asked many times so I thought that this would be a good place to explain. Shibari ia a form of Kinbaku, which is a form of Japanese rope bondage. Kinkabu means "Tight binding" while Kinbaku-bi literally means "the beauty of tight binding." Kinbaku is a Japanese style of bondage or BDSM which involves tying a person up using simple yet visually intricate patterns, usually with several pieces of thin rope.

In Japanese, “Shibari” simply means “to tie”. The contemporary meaning of Shibari describes an ancient Japanese artistic form of rope bondage.

The origin of Shibari comes from Hojo-jutsu, the martial art of restraining captives. In Japan from 1400 to 1700, while the local police and Samurai used Hojo-jutsu as a form of imprisonment and torture, the honor of these ancient Samurai warriors required them to treat their prisoners well. So, they used different techniques to tie their prisoners, showing the honor and status of their captured prisoner.

In the late 1800′s and early 1900′s a new form of erotic Hojo-justu evolved, called Kinbaku, the art of erotic bondage. Today, particularly in the west, the art of erotic bondage is typically called Shibari, which is an art of erotic spirituality, not a martial art.

Shibari style rigging creates geometric patterns and shapes with rope that contrast beautifully with the human body’s natural curves. The ropes and their texture provide contrast to smooth skin and curves. In Shibari, the model is the canvas, the rope is the paint and brush, and the rigger is the rope artist.

~http://www.artofcontemporaryshibari.com/?page_id=29
shibari.jpg
shibari.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Remember ~ Safe - Sane - Consensual! Always!
Gagged
Role: submissive

Re: What is Shibari?

Post by Gagged »

i would love to learn more about Shibari. Do you have any books that you would recommend reading? Anyone?
MasterMatt
Site Admin

Post by MasterMatt »

For a beginner, I would suggest this book to start with.

The Two Knotty Boys books are very good. If you search for them on YouTube, they also have a lot of video tutorials as well.
51eWJGGb93L._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51eWJGGb93L._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 7483 times
Gagged

Post by Gagged »

MasterMatt wrote:For a beginner, I would suggest this book to start with.

The Two Knotty Boys books are very good. If you search for them on YouTube, they also have a lot of video tutorials as well.
Thank you! I will check them out!
Chelsea

Post by Chelsea »

I am just curious. Is this something that can be done to yourself or is it something that requires a partner? I love the intricacy of the rope-work (I googled it) but it seems like a lot of the knots would need to be tied by someone else.
Just here to learn and make some new friends!
MasterScott

Post by MasterScott »

Chelsea wrote:I am just curious. Is this something that can be done to yourself or is it something that requires a partner?
Chelsea, You can definitely practice on yourself and use that practice to lean some of the more intricate knots and rope-work, however, you are correct that many of the knots would require a partner. Some of the ones that are tied in places that an individual can reach.

You can still have a very rewarding self bondage session though by tying yourself. I would caution you to be careful though. Knots have a tendency to tighten when you struggle or even with general movement. Make sure that you know how to get yourself out. I would suggest learning quick release knots first. You should also have a pair of safety scissors available. Don't get the cheap Wal-Mart type though, you can generally purchase a decent pair from a first aid supply store. Something like these should work great.
Please visit my Patreon account to see my short stories.
Gagged

Post by Gagged »

I have had a little time to look up some of the different knots and I have to tell you, I'm loving this! This has opened up a whole new world to me. I actually find tying knots to be a bit of a stress releaser. I get to go someplace else in my head when i'm holding a piece of rope. Kind of cathartic.
MasterMatt
Site Admin

Post by MasterMatt »

Gagged wrote:I have had a little time to look up some of the different knots and I have to tell you, I'm loving this! This has opened up a whole new world to me. I actually find tying knots to be a bit of a stress releaser. I get to go someplace else in my head when i'm holding a piece of rope. Kind of cathartic.
Gagged - I feel the same way. Nothing relaxes me more that taking a small piece of rope and just tying knots. I actually carry a piece about two feel long with me everywhere I go. It helps me deal with some anxiety issues. I know that I look like a crazy person when I pull out my rope in public and start tying knots but I really don't care what other people think of me. LOL.

In fact, I think that I set the kind folks at my sons elementary school on high alert the other day when I was standing outside waiting for the bell to ring. I was just standing there minding my own business tying knots in a little piece of rope and they came out to "check" on me several times within about ten minutes. LOL. Like I could do anything dangerous with two feet of rope. :?
MasterMatt
Site Admin

Post by MasterMatt »

Another Great example of some nice ropework that I saw recently.
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg (26.55 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Gagged

Post by Gagged »

MasterMatt wrote:In fact, I think that I set the kind folks at my sons elementary school on high alert the other day when I was standing outside waiting for the bell to ring. I was just standing there minding my own business tying knots in a little piece of rope and they came out to "check" on me several times within about ten minutes. LOL. Like I could do anything dangerous with two feet of rope. :?
That's awesome. LOL I can only imagine security coming at you over your having a little bit of rope. Quick! Call Homeland Security! :lol: